Ball Chair Q&A

Friday, June 1, 2012
After my recent guest blog for Jeannie at Kindergarten Lifestyle (thanks again :]) I have received many questions about my students' lovely ball chairs :)




Where are they from?
My ball chairs were donated through multiple projects on DonorsChoose.org (1, 2, 3, 4) They were ordered through School Specialty

What are they called?

What size are they?
I ordered the small size of the 2 in this style. I chose the sitballs with covers because they are easy to clean, durable, and less likely to roll around the classroom.

Do they come in different sizes?
They do! This particular brand makes a larger size which I personally use for my teacher chair. I am 5'2" and sit just as comfortably on the 75cm size as my husband who is 6'2".

Do they come in a cheaper version?
They do! I actually own a few of the cheaper (no cover) version. They work... but they aren't as durable (I've had about 4 pop) and they roll around, but they are definitely better than a regular old chair :)
Do you notice a difference?
Oh yes!! The noise difference is amazing! You don't have to hear dreaded chairs scrapping on the floor or me reminding them to keep chairs on all 4s, for that matter. The students are more willing to stay in their seats and their attention lasts for a bit longer because moving is welcomed.

Do you have many problems with them?
As of yet no. We do have a child lose their chair on occasion due to misbehavior or not following our 3 simple ball chair rules: do your work, don't disturb your neighbor, and sit on the black dot with feet on the floor.

If you have any other questions please ask in the comments and I will add them to the list :)
                                                    

19 comments

April Walker said...

The ball chairs are super cute. I didn't even know those existed. Do they come in bigger sizes for older kids? I blogged on thematic teaching today. Your posts the other day inspired me.

April @ ideabackpack.blogspot.com

Lita Lita said...

Ball chairs! What a great idea! I didn't know they existed I wish I could see them in action.

Lisa R. said...

Thanks for giving us more information on the chairs!! I really am interested in getting some for my classroom next year. :)

Lisa
Learning Is Something to Treasure

Heather Shelton said...

Thanks for answering my question! I am looking more into a Donor's Choose project now to get me 5 for my classroom. I know I have a few students coming in who will GREATLY benefit! Thanks.
Heather
Mrs. Shelton’s Kindergarten

The Colorful Apple said...

So cool! Do you find that they are more beneficial for your students? (attention-wise)

Sara :)
Smiling In Second Grade

Cupcake said...

Super cool chairs!! I've never seen them before!
❤Teri
A Cupcake for the Teacher

Katie said...

I'm creating a donor's choose this weekend for a few of these! I have a SEVERE ADHD child in my classroom. Since I found out I'm looping and I'll be with this child next year, I'm already trying to think of ways to manage him. Are they very heavy?

Katie
Dirty Hands and Lesson Plans

Busy Bees said...

I know another school that uses them for their classes and the teachers just love them. Great idea about using donor's money for this!!
Robynn
BusyBees

Mrs. Anderson said...

Wow! I've never seen type of ball before. I like the fact that it can't roll.
Connie:)
www.welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogsot.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information on the ball chairs! I have at least one student who would really benefit from one, I think. Abilitations is a great company, too! I love their products.

Kara
Spedventures

Sarah said...

Oh. My. Gosh! I so needed these past school year. I had about 3 kids with sensory issues...not to mention all the other kinder wiggles. Super cool!

Sarah said...

Oh. My. Gosh! I so needed these past school year. I had about 3 kids with sensory issues...not to mention all the other kinder wiggles. Super cool!

Unknown said...

I am planning to submit a project for some of these sitballs. Is it a cover or is it a ball that I would need to inflate? Is it a ball and a cover? These may sound like silly questions but I do not want any surprises. Thanks

katie said...

I just showed the pic to my 8yo daughter she guessed what they were straight away. Lol she's jealous of the lucky kids who get to dit on these !

katie said...

I just showed the pic to my 8yo daughter she guessed what they were straight away. Lol she's jealous of the lucky kids who get to dit on these !

Mrs. McHaffie said...

Yes, I am just seeing this and I am now IN LOVE! I had the idea to use the ball chairs last year but was worried about the rolling around. These are awesome!
Heading to Donor's Choose!

Thanks!
Kelly
Beg, Borrow, Steal

Tried and True Reading said...

My son's Montessori classroom uses regular yoga balls. I like these better!
Thanks for the idea,
Theresa

LM said...

Hello!
I loved your post so much I decided to get some for my class through donors choose. They just came in and I brought one home to inflate. We're your covers loose and kind of gappy? Or have I just not filled the ball enough? Just want to mke sure I am filling them right! Lol

My email is lyndsey.morgan.m@gmail.com

Lyndsey

Ms. Morgan said...

Hello!
Loved your post so much I got a set for my small group table through donors choose. I just got them and brought one home to inflate. The problem is that the cover is kind of gappy and I don't know if its because the ball needs to be inflated more! Just wondered if you could share your experience inflating them! Thanks!

Lyndsey
lyndsey.morgan.m@gmail.com

Powered by Blogger.